Are you searching for a drapery and upholstery workroom that can provide sustainable solutions produced with organic or sustainable fabrics, linings and fills? Decorating with Fabric is a fabricator of custom drapery and upholstery products using Sustainable Textiles. We provide organic fabrics for residential projects and recycled polyester fabrics for contract. Beyond the fabrics we offer organic linings, “Traceable Down" pillow fill, natural latex rubber cushions and other new and innovative products and supplies.
We have sourced some of the world’s most innovative, beautiful and sustinable organic fabrics. There is no need to compromise on aesthetics anymore when selecting organic drapery and upholstery fabrics. Below are a few of the stories behind our carefully selected fabrics.
- Hemp: The fibers were grown by independent Romanian farmers in an area of the country that has, for many generations, depended on the growing of hemp. These small families use no pesticides, insecticides, fungicides or synthetic fertilizers.
- Wool: No synthetic inputs are used on the livestock – no dips, drenches, pesticides or routine antibiotic treatments are used. Scouring of the wool is done by using only hot water and biodegradable detergents; scouring water is recovered and used for agriculture.
- Linen: The yarns are woven into the fabric at a mill in southern Italy that has been in the same location for over 100 years. This mill uses absolutely no sizers or de-sizers, in fact is uses no chemicals at all throughout their production process, avoiding chemical baths that degrade the yarn’s quality and inherent strength.
- Bamboo: The bamboo fibers used in the yarns are grown in China using sustainable farming methods and harvesting techniques which do not threaten Panda habitat.
- Cotton: The Peruvian organic cotton fields are appropriate for the region, a region with very high annual rainfall. This is an important consideration because even organic cotton is a very thirsty crop.
- Organic Silk: Solid silk Dupioni is made on hand looms woven at a rate of 4 yards per day using hand reared silkworms that are hand spun and woven in the traditional method for over a millennium.
The most sustainable fabric source for contract fabrics is recycled polyester. This is a fabric that comes from water bottles. The bottles are ground into chips, spun into yard and then woven into fabrics and ultimately recyled back into another product. Our fabrics are solution dyed and tested for the upmost durability.